North to Mahia, Wairoa, Napier, Hastings, Central Hawke's Bay and South to Porangahau.
Hawke's Bay Centre
Little Elms Trust, 310 Orchard Road.
PO Box 1014
Tel: (06) 876 7638
Fax: (06) 876 5046
Click here to view our Facebook page
Manager - Pauline Farquhar - Email
Central Hawke's Bay Supportive Care Co-Ordinator, Jenny Schaw - Email
Wairoa Supportive Care Co-Ordinator, Gae Redshaw - Email
Health Promotion Advisor, Jess Trew - Email
Events and Administration:
Events & Fundraising - Pip Taylor - Email
Administration - Justine Fisher - Email
Palmerston North Shuttle:
Shuttle Drivers, John (JD) Davis - 027 248 7217
Who We Are
The Cancer Society of NZ Hawke’s Bay Centre Inc. is an incorporated society with charitable status. We are a member of the Central Districts Division. We are a not-for-profit organisation funded by caring New Zealanders. Our federated structure includes a Cancer Society of New Zealand National Office in Wellington, six divisions and 15 centres throughout New Zealand, all involved in raising funds and providing local services.
How We Operate
We are a charity and many people are surprised to learn we receive very little government funding but rely on the generosity of our caring local businesses and the community for donations (tax deductible), community fundraising, sponsorship, bequests and volunteer support to run our services.
Volunteers are the backbone of our Centre and organisation. Our Centre is governed by a volunteer Executive Committee of up to 10 members elected at the Annual General Meeting in July. We have around 40 supportive regular volunteers who help our supportive care team by driving cancer patients to treatment, assist with support groups and others who help with fundraising, special events, administration, and general maintenance.
We have 10 employed staff in the Hawke’s Bay region. Staff to look after the day-to-day operations of the Centre, supportive care services, drive the Cancer Society shuttle transporting clients to radiation oncology treatment in Palmerston North, co-ordinate health promotion programmes, coordinate fundraising/special events, and support our volunteers.
What We Do
Cancer is now the leading cause of death in New Zealand. As we grow older the likelihood of developing cancer increases.
- Each year in Hawke’s Bay there are more than 900 people diagnosed with cancer.
- Every day at the Cancer Society we help all people with any cancer, their families, whānau and friends to deal with a cancer diagnosis.
- We advocate for cancer patients, providing a voice on all kinds of issues including cancer prevention, screening, early detection and treatment.
- We support people during treatment and after, ensuring they are able to move on with their lives once again. We do this through the wide range of core services in supportive care, information and local support groups and connecting people online. We develop and run community health promotion and cancer prevention programmes to keep people well.
We provide a range of FREE support services for people with cancer and their family/caregivers. We help get people through their cancer diagnosis.
- General cancer one on one support & carer relief
- Transport – including three times a week shuttle service to Palmerston North for treatment and volunteer drivers within Hawke’s Bay
- Support groups in Wairoa, Hastings and Central Hawke’s Bay
- Living Well with Cancer education – weekly workshops for adults with cancer and their supporters, run by experienced Cancer Society staff & psychologists
- Support volunteer training
- One-on-one support, patient advocacy & advice
- Emergency financial assistance via grants
- Complementary therapy – oncology massage
- A listening ear for patients, caregivers, whānau and family members
- Hats, turbans, wigs
- Restorative yoga
Community Health Development – we help keep people well
We encourage people to live a healthier lifestyle to reduce their personal risk of cancer. We do this through effective health promotion - education, advocacy, policy and communication on the following topics,
- Tobacco Control
- Skin Cancer Prevention including SunSmart schools accreditation programme and sun protection equipment loan for summer events
- Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Screening and Early Detection
- Men's Health